Tuesday, March 2, 2021

The Secret to Knowledge

I frequently leaf through the a instructional rather than read it. I want to know what's in it so I can find needed information.

I went looking for RTFM and found this,

Cuban’s Secret Knowledge

In the interview, Cuban was asked what he knew about PCs. He answered, “I don’t know a lot, but what I do know is how to open up a manual and read and teach myself.” The interviewer loved the answer and hired Cuban as an entry-level salesman.

Cuban describes this first job in further detail in his autobiography, How to Win at the Sport of Business:

“Every night I would take home a different software manual, and I would read it. Of course the reading was captivating. Peachtree Accounting. Wordstar, Harvard Graphics, PFS, dBASE, Lotus, Accpac… Every night I would read some after getting home, no matter how late.

“Turns out not a lot of people ever bothered to RTFM (read the frickin’ manual), so people started really thinking I knew my stuff.”

No comments:

Post a Comment