Sunday, August 7, 2022

Port extension problems

 Over the  years I have had problems with external hard drives that I have added to my laptop using port extenders, also called dongles.

Basically the issue is power. An expensive dongle/extender uses power only from the USB port you attach it to. When you add power hungry devices like spinning external hard drives you may have problems with the drive dropping out or corrupting your files. I have had that problem for a couple of years. I thought it was cheap or faulty external drives. 


Wrong. Get a powered dongle/extender. I actually have one back in a drawer but haven't used it since I need 115v adapter and cable. Duhh.


How did I come to this knowledge? I watched this from Rocky Mountain Photography School.

No comments:

Post a Comment