Thursday, May 4, 2023

How to Price Your Photographic Work

You've taken a photo and posted it on the web. Now someone wants to purchase a print. What should you charge?

I'm not a commercial photographer, it's a hobby and I'll say selling photos is a side hustle. Not a job.

That's the BIG depends, Photographic paper, matteing, frame, canvas, metal, glass? There are a number of web pages to help you. I've read many and they you on and on about the business.

Basically many write about your gear cost, you're time in the field, time spent in post processing, and it goes on.

For me it's simply your labor rate + "Parts"(production+shipping).

Labor rate varies widely over the world. So what is your labor rate?  Experience, Skill and Complexity should be considered when setting your personal labor rate. $30-$50/hr is reasonable.

So let's say, on average, you create a photo, 
Research and planning - 1hr
In the field to "get the shot," - 2hr
Postprocessing - 1hr

The size of the print does not figure it the time to crest the image. 

So we have 4 hours, on average, to create an image for sale.

So 4x$30 = $120 to 4x$50 = $200 plus (production+shipping)

So for a recent 11x14 aluminum that costs $45  that brings me to a selling price is $165-$245.

I view my gear as a sunk cost, or at best deprecated asset. Remember it's a hobby.

So where does that leave me?  Ok, it's a hobby I think $100+costs is fare. However when I promote my side hustle I figure $120-$200 + costs is reasonable. Your side hustle just became a business.

Really your creation is only worth what the purchaser is willing to pay. So that brings us to, determine your audience. 

I'll set as price of $100+ costs when someone asks for a print. The customer and I can agree on a price.

No comments:

Post a Comment