Sunday, November 29, 2020

Why Worry? It's the Ratio that's why!

Why Worry about your cameras aspect ratio? In my digital darkroom I can crop to any desired ratio. Why Worry?

Composure!

It looks good on my device doesn't it. Yes it does but it may not print, on your chosen media, what you expected.

It's all about the aspect ratio. My camera sensor has a 4:3 ratio. Yours may be 3:2. The most common printing size is 8x10, 4:5 which didn't fit either.

So why Worry? Because when you compose your image and don't allow for the chosen crop the print may be too close to the frame. So worry about it.

Most modern cameras allow you to choose a ratio. In my Olympus camera I can choose a 1:1. When I review it on the cameras LCD display I see a light white 1:1 frame so I know my print wouldn't chop off important parts.

I use the RAW image so the sensor image is the native ratio not a jpeg crop display.

 Just another reason to use RAW.

This is a good discussion.

I have added this from my facebook Larry's Photography group, 
Camera aspect ratio and your desired print ratio should be considered in your composition. These articles may help.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/photographylife.com/aspect-ratio/amp

No comments:

Post a Comment