Sunday, August 16, 2020

How I Cull, Choose, My Keepers

 I'm a user of Lightroom Classic so this discussion is based on my experience and choice on how I cull my photo shoots. There is not correct way but it is MY way.


  • Import my images from my card
    • During the import I make sure my destination is correct.
    • I add appropriate Key Words.

  • In Library mode Loupe view
    • Enable the Navigator window
    • Set CapsLK it you want to advance to the next image you make a solution.
    • Use the P, pick flag, U, Unflag, X, Flag for seletion.
      • In each image I am looking at, Focus, Composition, Exposure
        • X anything out of focus.
        • P or U if the composition can be fixed with a reasonable Crop.
        • P or U if Exposure can be improved by about +-2 stops.
        • U if it is a memory shot that I would not post.
        • I will often use 1:1 to verify focus,
    • Now I will remove, delete from storage, all X's
    • Now I will go to Grid view and use the attribute  "tab" to view all the P, White flagged images.
    • Go back thru the Picks and rate each using number ratings 1 to 4. 1 = I may edit, 4 = I will edit. 2 or 3 = Maybe.
    • With the Picks add the 4 stared to sort the 4 stars. Birds in flight that are mostly heading to you with the eye in focus is a definite P4.
    • Remove the CapsLK.  Now it's time to edit.
  • With my Picks and 4's selected I go to the Development module.
    • As I go thru the editing process I may demote the rating to a lower number, 3 or lower, or Un-flag or X to mark for deletion.
    • When I am happy with the edited image I will promote it to 5.
    • If I have to many P-5's I review again and demote, 4 or lower,.
  • I've been attempting to just have 1 to 3 of a similar image, like a sunset, sunrise, moon, ... Why force the viewer to make a  choice from 10-20 good photos that are very similar?
    • For example on a recent shoot I have several good/great images of a Great Blue Heron in flight. I choose the one that you could see the eye, extended wings, etc. in sharp focus and detail.
This one, 

1 comment:

  1. Additional reasons, https://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/how-to-quickly-cull-and-rate-your-photographs-in-lightroom/

    ReplyDelete