Friday, September 2, 2022

Behind the Shot

The shot,



I think it's important to learn what did the photographer do to create a photo.

I use an OM-D E-M5 iii with a 14-150mm lens. I used Manual mode with the Aperture as wide the lens allows. This lens is a variable Aperture f/4.0-5.6. when set at 14mm I set the Aperture to f/4.0 since I zoom the Aperture stay wide open.  Usually, for BIF, I start with a Shutter Speed of 1/1250s. Knowing I would be photographing  hummingbird's I chose to it use the Shutter mode pro-capture H. I set it to 30fps, 14 per-capture images and limited to 50 total images. The shutter speed was set to 1/12800s. Since I use auto ISO I knew the ISO would be 200-6400.

I set-up a tripod to a wide enough field of view so hummingbird would be in flight and focused on the feeder.  I then enabled WiFi to I could remotely trigger the shutter with my cellphone.

On my cellphone, while sitting in a comfortable chair, I enabled WiFi and connected to the camera. In the Oi.Share app I enabled the half way setting. Using the remote shutter feature I pressed the Half Way button. The camera began storing 14 images. When a hummingbird was in the frame I pressed the shutter button. 

50 shots. 

I repeated  it l until I felt had enough. From time to time I would tap the Half Way button to stop and restart the sequence.

Importing images into Lightroom classic I set cap locked and used the x, p, u keys to mark delete, pick, unmark and advance to the next image. I used P to mark those birds is right. X was empty frame or otherwise bad images. U for any just to advance to the next image that I wasn't interested for this review.

Sorted to the picks and press 3 or 4 for those I wanted to edit and 1 just to advance to the next image. Then the best 3 or 4 we're choose to editing.

In the Develop mode, crop, white balance to daytime, exposure Auto. Then hold the Alt and set white point and black point then  Vibrance.

Remove distractions if necessary in Photoshop. Then Topaz De Noise AI and Topaz Sharpen AI. 

Back in Lightroom, set to 5 and a Green label. Export.

Remember "show your best".

No comments:

Post a Comment